Welcome to the world of Swedish films!
On this page you will be able to contact staff members of the Swedish Film Institute in order to arrange meetings during the Toronto International Film Festival 2020.
You will also find a, since the Cannes 2020 market in June, slightly updated version of our catalogue Swedish Film in ISSUU format.
Swedish Films Catalogue
Swedish Film is our catalogue that we release three times a year in connection with some of the major festivals. Swedish Film is an important way for us to inform an international audience about new and upcoming films ready to hit international festivals and markets.
Swedish Film: #2 2020 (PDF File)
Cannes 2020 Webinars
If you missed the webinars co-produced by the Swedish Film Institute during the 2020 Cannes film market, then here’s your chance. All webinars moderated by Wendy Mitchell.
Pandemic Production: Lessons Learned in the Nordics
In the midst of the Coronavirus global pandemic, film and TV productions restarted (safely) earlier in the Nordics than the rest of the world. Learn from directors and producers how their shoots have resumed safely, as they discuss case studies of how exactly they have met the challenge of new health, safety and social distancing measures, as well as new insurance and financing challenges.
- Aage Aaberge, producer, Nordisk Film (Norway)
- Nina Laurio, producer and partner, Dionysos Films (Finland)
- Lars Bredo Rahbek, Head of Production, SF Studios Denmark and now shooting "Margrete - Queen of The North" (Denmark)
- Kristinn Thordarson, Head of Production, Truenorth (Iceland)
- Sara Young, writer/director, "Most Unwanted" (Sweden)
The film industry shares the globe’s growing concern about sustainability. There are many positive steps that film productions and the film ecosystem can take to make themselves more ‘green.’ Hear from Nordic Scandinavian experts about practical suggestions and new ways of thinking to make your business and your films more sustainable.
- Ronny Fritsche, Film i Väst (Sweden)
- Ásthildur Kjartansdóttir, director, THE DEPOSIT (Iceland)
- Anne Ahn Lund, Jordnaer Creative (Denmark)
- Mads Astrup Rønning, Founder and Creative Director at Babusjka & Founder of Green Producers Club (Norway)
- Saara Saarela, director, "Memory of Water" (Finland)
- Mikael Svensson, Film Commissioner, Southern Sweden Film Commission (Sweden)
Reaching Audiences in 2020 and Beyond
Learn how Nordic distributors and exhibitors are adapting to the unprecedented times of 2020 both with cinema and VOD releases. What innovative approaches are helping films reach audiences, and how will distribution and exhibition adapt even when the world gets ”back to normal.” Experts from across the Nordics will present case studies from their own countries, offering lessons learned and ideas about the future.
- Ditte Daubjerg Christensen, Managing Director, Øst for Paradis (Denmark)
- Peter Fornstam, CEO, Svenska Bio (Sweden)
- Truls Foss, Head of Programme Cinema, VEGA Scene (Norway)
- Jonas Holmberg, Artistic Director, Goteborg Film Festival (Sweden)
- Mika Siltala, CEO, Cinema Mondo (Finland)
- Hrönn Sveinsdóttir, Managing Director, Bio Paradis, (Iceland)
Fresh Flesh: The Rising Nordic Genre Talents
Meet the new voices in Nordic genre filmmaking. We talk to rising genre talents about their upcoming projects, and also about trends in genre filmmaking. How are they exploring new ideas with genre and what’s so special about genre storytelling in the Nordics?
- Hanna Bergholm, writer/director, "The Hatching" (Finland)
- Emma Broström, writer, "Knocking" (Sweden)
- Kjersti Helen Rasmussen, writer/director, "The Nightmare" (Norway)
- Marc Fussing Rosbach, director, "Tarratta Nunaanni" (Greenland)
- Sissel Dalgaard Thomsen, writer, "Breeder" (Denmark)
- Marteinn Thorsson, writer/director, "Recurrence" (Iceland)
Getting your first feature off the ground
You’ve made great shorts, TV episodes, webseries or commercials, but want to take your career to the next level. Does it feel impossible to make that big leap to your first feature film? Filmmakers from across the Nordics discuss how they have moved onto their debut feature, and what they learned on their journey.
- Khadar Ahmed, writer/director, "Gravedigger" (Finland)
- Nathalie Álvarez Mesén, writer/director, "Clara Sola" (Sweden)
- Erika Calmeyer, writer/director, "Storm" (Norway)
- Tinna Hrafnsdóttir, writer/director, "Quake" (Iceland)
- Lisa Jespersen, writer/director, "Persona Non Grata" (Denmark)
- Ninja Thyberg, writer/director, "Pleasure" (Sweden)
Please also take time to visit our Nordic Colleagues
Published 02 June 2020